Sunday, March 18, 2012

Part of my heart!

This is a very special post...about...err...a part of my heart :-)

I was in India last month for about 3 weeks. Had a lot of fun, spoke to my friends and family about my plans for an etsy store. I was overwhelmed by the support I got. A friend brought me some very special seeds to make into jewelry. And then she found me some really pretty wood beads. She even came to meet me halfway between her office and mine on my last day in town to bring them to me. Another friend brought me some more beads in a pretty little box that I can use a prop for my photos, my sister's niece took me shopping for beads...I found the most amazing textile and natural beads where she took me, and sister's sister-in-law (yeah, that far down the relation heirarachy!) dug up her stash of embroidery supplies to find something for me. My sister gave me her own vintage jewelry to do-over. And on and on....I am ever so grateful for my family and friends and all their support!

My sisters and I got together the last night of my stay in Pune for dinner. One of my nieces' couldn't come because she had an exam the next morning and was preparing for it. As luck would have it, I could not make that flight (that is a story for another post..but it was not my fault...just saying ;-).

Everyone was expecting me to be upset about this, but I was actually glad to get an extra day there! I wanted to meet a few people, speak to some others and also got a chance to say bye to my niece.

So..the next day, my niece called me and said she would come to my parents' house in half hour. I told her I was leaving for the city my new flight was from in about 10 minutes. She sounded a bit disappointed and handed the phone to her mom. She right away explained...the girl had been baking a bead for me, it was in oven and would be done in 15 minutes! So I decided to drop by their home on my way.

She had made me a polymer clay heart. The perfectionist in her didn't like it, but I loved it! The colors were so vibrant, just the way I like it. I was so happy...her and her younger sister were sitting at the kitchen table making more canes. It was a school day and one of them had just finished an exam. They were spending their free time making beads for me, so sweet :)

I was thinking about what to make with it so I can wear it often. I ended up making a bracelet. And here it is...I will be wearing my heart on wrist :-)



I learnt how to make the beaded ring in the latest issue of "Stringing" magazine, and knew that is exactly what I needed for stringing the heart. There are quite a few "firsts" in this bracelet.

First time I used memory wire
First time I made the beaded ring
Not quite the first, but still learning how to make the wrapped loop that is attaching the red bead to the bracelet.
And of course, the first bead my niece made :)

Here are some close-ups...



The memory wire was a tad bit too big for my wrist. So I wore it around my neck :-) I need to fix it to fit me.
Here's another closer look...


Isn't it so pretty!

Photo courtesy: The hubby

19 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I loved reading this post! Your niece should be very proud of herself! What a lovely memory you have created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wearable heart ;)..a new meaning to wearing your heart on your sleeve

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story! Your family in India must be extra special to treasure you so completely. The heart is beautiful! Small suggestion-- try a jump ring and a small clasp on the ends of your memory wire, perhaps that will tighten it up just enough to fit your wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece, and full of so many special memories. It's so colorful and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love the colors! Makes me smile :)

      Delete
  4. A perfect way to use memory wire for a memory bead :) I love the heart your niece made for you - and the cheerful bracelet you have created with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...the real story makes the bracelet so special ( as it is looked really great)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and colorful post and the Bracelet:D :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...beautiful and colorful beads, bracelet and writeup:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bead is awesome and the fact that it is made with love just for you makes it all that much more SPECIAL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty kasha, loved it and lovely blog !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story, and I agree your niece did a great job on the heart. The bracelet is beautiful and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really cute and so colorful! I love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty - love all the colors and the story behind it

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you mentioned this post and your bracelet to me! This is very special, indeed! From all accounts, it sounds like you have a terrific, loving family! And the bracelet turned out really great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww - what a sweet story and what a lovely piece it turned out to be! A wonderful send off for your new adventure, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your title "Part of my heart". How old is your niece, Kashmira? Perhaps you are related to the next great PC artist! I am interested in making PC canes that would feature mini-maps of different parts of the world. I don't know what the outcome will be, but if I am successful I'll send you some samples. If you are aware of anyone already doing this, let me know, as I wouldn't want to be a copycat!

    ReplyDelete