Monday, January 19, 2015

My Big Four-Oh And Kiva

All these years, the only time I ever felt like, "oh my, I feel old" was when I started 8th grade. At age 13, I wondered just HOW did I get so far? And that feeling stayed with me for a couple years! But since then it has been smooth sailing, the 20s were welcomed enthusiastically, 30s were mostly ignored: I still looked and felt like I was in my mid-20s. Plus I had three older sisters..who would, well, always be older, consequently making me feel younger. I always believed that I would age gracefully, knowing how to handle it.

I was absolutely...WRONG! 3 months before my birthday, I got glasses. My eyes were probably weak for a while, I just decided to do something about it only now. While I had been planning my 40th birthday for a while, the realization of what it meant only hit me when I got the glasses. 4 decades! Having had a pretty healthy life so far, the signs of aging took me by surprise. I started having these chains of thought where I would be old and frail with no one to be with me. Pretty intense reaction to getting glasses, I know! The big day is on April 18th.



I tried to calm down and took stock of life so far. The picture was quite rosy. Loving family, fun and loyal friends, good jobs throughout, sprinkled with a fair amount of travel, and more materialistic things than I would ever want need. Absolutely no complaints or regrets here! I thought about what I would like to do that would make this year more meaningful.

I have always been socially conscious, thanks to my philanthropic parents. I have helped out with donations mostly towards education and children's welfare. I have been disappointed with quite a few of the organizations I have supported (and hence stopped supporting), and right now the number has dwindled to two: Project Why and Kiva.

For those that don't know about Kiva (get out from under your rock, NOW!):
It is a non-profit organization that works with microfinance institutes to provide lending services to those most in need! You could lend as little as $25 and make a BIG difference. If you look at the profiles of the borrowers, you can be assured that your loan will make a difference not just to one individual, but to an entire family. It may even turn the course of life for their next generation! All with $25, which you actually get back!

The repayment rate is 98% - and this 2% loss is most often due to currency exchange loss, which the borrower has no control over. I have been lending since 2009. I have put in only $128 so far, which have been going around (repayment and relending) allowing me to help change the lives of 40 families! The $128 has become equivalent to $1100!

When I looked at the numbers, I was ashamed that I had only put in $128 in 5 years. To change that, I am going to make a new loan each month. And to supplement that, I have also started a campaign where, YOU can also get into this addictive, feel-good habit! Here are the details of my campaign:


Instead of getting gifts this year, I wish to raise $300 in loans by April 19th, 2015. This is a $25 loan by 12 people. You will get the loan back, and you may choose to either keep it or re-lend (I would recommend re-lending...see how $128 provided a $1100 value??)
Someone asked me whether I was hoping to find new "lenders" vs new "loans". I just meant new "loans", if you are an existing Kivan, and wish to make a loan through my campaign, I'll be glad :)

Here's a touching video that will definitely convince you in case my words did not


You can empower people around the world by making a $25 loan on Kiva. 


Hoping to raise well beyond my goal!
Thank you :)





12 comments:

  1. Well happy Birthday! and 40 .... oh that was a good year :)

    We donate to several charities Kiva included which we've been relending for years now. We also feel strongly about Doctors without borders who we regularly give money to. Small donations can make a big difference to these groups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Will check out the doctors without borders! Definitely a good cause!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, my dear Kashmira! I am assuming you want 12 NEW lenders :) I just made one this morning to a lady in Timor-Leste (in my mind I will forever think of you when I check it, OK?)

    Lots of hugs to you xoxo This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That works just fine, Mon :)
      I guess I just meant a new loan. I should update my post to say that.

      Delete
    2. I made another one. Just because :)

      Lotsa love, girl!

      Delete
    3. Thank Mon! You're a super good person :)

      Delete
  3. What a generous idea for your birthday. I have been lending and relending through KIVA for the last year and they are a wonderful organization. I haven't counted how many loans I've made or how many people I've helped but it really is the easiest way to make a difference in this world. Thanks for getting the word out to all of our beady friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nan! I think you should check your stats then. It is definitely a feel-good factor! I was happy to see how the value of my $128 has multiplied 8 times over, and was an eye opener that I could do more.

      I can't say enough good things about Kiva, have been reading their blogs and news articles, and am only seeing +ve things.

      Delete
  4. I really had to chuckle because right before I started going through my blogs, I just set up a Kiva loan so a young lady in Paraguay could purchase fabric for her business. And Happy Birthday! I have found that since I have passed 40, everything is smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, same as Mon :) I will count your loan as one of mine ;-)
      And thanks for the reassurance abt life in the 40s...I know so many who are just sailing smooth, but its like the jolt I got when I turned 13 ;-)

      Delete
  5. Happy, happy birthday. I don't know how I missed it. I'll be hitting that big number myself later on this year. (I had no idea we were so close in age, I seriously thought you were several years younger than me).
    And, I must be living under a rock as I've only heard inklings about Kiva, It definitely sounds like a worthwhile cause. At this exact moment, I'm unable to contribute (the holidays got me good), but I should be able to look more into it in a few weeks. I would definitely like to help your birthday wish come true. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hope!!
      My birthday is not until two more months, i didn't realize I was silly enough to not put the date...so any time is fine, and even after that, any time is fine. I really only wanted to create awareness about Kiva :)

      When is your birthday?

      Delete