Saturday, January 5, 2013

Focus On Life - Week 1 - Self Portrait

Once upon a time, I wanted to be a photographer. Go on, click on that link and see where it takes you, but come back soon!

So, right, I wanted to be a photographer. I used to carry a camera in my purse all the time, and I clicked pictures of things that looked interesting to me...all the time. To the point to embarrassment and irritation to those accompanying me. I loved it, but at some point, I stopped. I still carry my camera, but things don't jump out at me, shouting, "click me!" like they used to. I enjoyed it so much, that when Sally Russick of The Studio Sublime came up with this idea of a photo a week to pretty much document my life, I knew it was meant to bring me back that joy of being trigger happy :-)

I have seen these teams a lot in the past...take a picture everyday, or once a week or something like that. And I never felt like joining them. And not sure what urged me to join this time, but I did!

There will be a post every Saturday with a prompt that Sally provides. We will have one week to click and write about it.


The first prompt of the year is "Self-Portrait".
I think it is very appropriate for the beginning of a new year, you take a good look at yourself, who you are, what you like, what you would like to change...you get the idea.
But I was not thrilled with the prompt :(( Unlike most of the folks in this challenge whose posts I have read so far, I LOVE being in front of the camera, I am a poser, for sure. But self-portrait reminded me of those pics taken with one arm extended, a few things cut off. While I am do not like the posed, propped, photo-shopped perfect photos of people, I don't like this other extreme as well.
So I was going to skip on this one. Sally did say it was ok to skip.

But yesterday evening, I happened to see my little (she's actually quite big) Raggedy Ann sitting in her (mine, actually) chair. And I knew I could do this!

Here's my self-portrait!


I know, an explanation is in order. I am totally this person! Not Barbie perfect, my hair tends to get wild, I am at heart, NOT a dress-to-impress person, would love some mischief just like you see in her eyes, and always quick to smile. My arms are also always wide open, embracing new ideas and new people. 

Now the other thing about this picture...she is bogged down with things. Clothes, books, printouts that come home for some long forgotten reason, an unfinished scarf hanging on her chair, there was a pair of sunglasses on her lap a couple days back, socks, headbands and scrunchies, laptop, and now an iPhone, and in general, things that have no home in particular. Most days, I cannot see her face because she is under a mountain of discarded clothes.
Ok, the laptop and phone never go there, but you get the idea. I am a clutterbug!

And I need to change that. My "word" for this year is "discipline". And I hope, as the year progresses, I will see ALL of my darling Annie everyday :-)


40 comments:

  1. You're right, Kashmira, this is a surprise! What a creative way to show you, and fun too! I love that you have so much in common with this sweet lovable Raggedy Ann!

    Your new word for the year is one I need to adopt as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice :) I need a LOT of discipline and focus! Hoping I do well!

      Delete
  2. That's so funny, the one (possibly the only one) who likes having her picture taken doesn't show herself. I like it, it's actually perfect!! I was surprised not to see a photo of you because I've actually seen quite a few. But your explanation is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Kristi :)
      Well, that's what I figured too...there are so many pics of me, what point in putting up a weird timer-clicked photo. But this...it really shows a lot of things about me :) And will work as a reminder for me about my 2013 goal!

      Delete
  3. What a cute picture, Kashmira. Here's hoping to see more of Annie over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya! That's a good idea, maybe I can feature Annie every once in a while on my blog ;-)

      Delete
  4. you crack me up, and so glad you joined this one ... happy to see you play along with me all year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This picture and post made me smile. It's a perfect self portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your word of the year...I like it! Your post was so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti! I really need help with this whole discipline thing :/

      Delete
  7. Kashmira, this is a wonderful interpretation of this weeks prompt! Great idea and cute shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sally :) Glad I didn't disappoint :)

      Delete
  8. Nice blog Kashmira, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dita Di! Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete
  9. oh my goodness, ever miss contrary! She is pretty sweet, I bet Andy would be really drawn in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, "my" Andy is a neat-nick and has given up on me a looooong time ago ;)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely doll! I was trying to come up with my word for the year yesterday (prompt two and all!) Disciplined would have worked just fine... not one I thought of. My family refers to my car as a dumpster on wheels, my house is cluttered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, join me on the "Discipline" ride, then! I have more than clutter to work on...

      Delete
  11. Wow, that was an awesome introduction! Looking forward to more . . .

    Jan - Molten Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen your beautiful face often, but feel I truly know you a little better from this post. I love how you compared yourself to Ann ... very creatively done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lola! That was exactly my thought...my pic has been everywhere, putting up one more won't be that much fun ;)

      Delete
  13. Unique interpretation and I can completely understand the whole clutter thing. Enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! Clutter...it seems to lay eggs overnight!

      Delete
    2. Great interpretation of the prompt. I too chose to take a deeper look. I think it is great that the self portrait and word for the year mesh so well for you.

      Delete
    3. Yeah! I loved yours with all the sunshine! I, for one, will wither away without sunshine, so really liked yours :)

      Delete
  14. Oh my this is such a wonderful post Kashmira!! I love your 'self-portait' with all her 'things'!! I collect ragedy Ann and Andy dolls - got my first ones from my sister when I was only 4 years old! I've got a story to share w/you about them some day (privately - it's a long one!!) I'm glad to see you along for this fun ride this year - it's gonna be very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shel,
      Thank you! And I recently read your post where you said you loathe clutter, and I am kind of thinking of where I could go hide with my Annie in tow ;-)

      I want to hear your story! Whenever you have time!

      Delete
  15. Oh you are too funny, Kashmira! You got us!!! I love it. Good thing I have seen many pictures of you because you have an incredible smile and you are very photogenic....just like your Raggedy Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! I LOVE it Kashmira. Great "self-portrait".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ema! She is going to show up in tomorrow's post too ;-)

      Delete
  17. As I scrolled down this post I was anticipating seeing your beautiful face. . .boy was I surprised! ;)
    I do like your logic and symbolism with Ann. I get it. Very cute.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you do this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent representation! So cute.

    ReplyDelete