Friday, May 25, 2012

Cocktail Hour Blog Hop - Manhattan!

Its Friday night, time for another challenge reveal :-)

This time it is "The Cocktail Hour Blog Hop" by Amy Freeman of Copper Diem.
She sent us all the name of a cocktail which we were to use for inspiration.
Her instructions:
"Google the cocktail, and use the ingredients, image, color, season it's usually enjoyed, era it became famous (I'm looking at your absinthe), or whatever else to inspire any piece of jewelry."

I got, you guessed it, Manhattan!

I had no idea what it was made of. But the first thing that came to mind was skycrapers, and uber-chic people! Like Carrie Bradshaw. I wanted to make something SHE would wear, lol :-)

I did look up the drink itself, to see what the ingredients are and what it looks like.
Ingredients: Whiskey and Vermouth. Hmm...not inspiring anything really :(

What it looks like...what's the color? Kind of a dull orange. See..like this




And here's the Manhattan skyline....



Ok, I think I had my inspiration...that orange colored drink, this building from the Manhattan skyline, and something Carrie Bradshaw would wear!


Off to the stash we go. I wanted to make an orange triangle. Luckily, while rummaging through my stash, I found a pair of earrings my friend had given me to upcycle. They were PERFECT for this. I used one of them as the focal, added a large antique brass split ring, and sprinkled some orange beads in it (that is the cherry on the drink ;-))

Made it super long...Carrie would like it that way, I think! And added some orange-ness on the chain as well. And here we have it...the Manhattan necklace! It has the skyscraper, with a cherry on top, made for a fashionista living in Manhattan :-)





I need to get a picture of the "full" necklace. Its so long, I am not able to find a good background to put it against.
This was fun! Researching the drink, and being able to represent it exactly the way I wanted it was a lot of fun!

Here are the other participants! What makes it more interesting is that we don't know what everyone got. So its going to be a fun surprise to visit all the blogs.

Hostess:  Copper Diem

Stefanies Sammelsurium
My Bead Journey
Adventures with Kelly
Mama's Got To Doodle
Sadafulee
Wait Just One More Bead
Cynth's Blog
Palm Coast Art
Green Shoot Jewellery Designs
Cianci Blue
Dreamin Of Beads / SAS Jewelry Designs
Beads for Busy Gals
Oregon Made Jewelry
My Addictions...Handcrafted Jewelry by Patti
Moods by Mari
Soul of Mine Embodiment
Uniquely Yunikua
Fabric of My Life
Firefly Visions
Indigo Heart
The Peaceful Bead
Casa de Everly
Heaven Lane Creations
Sue Beads
Durga Jewelry
Honey Bijou
A Bird in the Hand Art
SilverNikNats
Rainy Day Designs
Tell Your Girlfriends

39 comments:

  1. What a fun hop idea! I totally missed out on that one. I like your interpretation. Very cleverly done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely!!
    you're so genius, Kashmira...
    think i still have to learn a lot about how to 'translate' an idea or a theme... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool Kash, getting inspired by a Manhattan and making a piece based on it. I'm impressed!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I can make a perfect Manhattan in my sleep (It is my mother's favorite drink!) I think you captured the elements of your design perfectly! Carrie would approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! Am so tempted to send a picture to SJP just for kicks, lol :)

      Delete
  5. Very chic Kashmira! just like Manhattan it's self. Love the colors and I always love a l-o-n-g necklace. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is my very first looooonnng necklace, am loving it!

      Delete
  6. The Manhattan Skyline, what a great inspiration for your piece. The necklace is beautiful! I love the beaded pendant. I'll bet it looks stunning when worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alice! Am loving it too :) Am so glad I could upcycle those earrings, they looked quite terrible as earrings, lol!

      Delete
  7. Kashmira, so cool! I love your interpretation! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the colour of your chain, great choice w/ the orange

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty necklace, I love what you did with your cocktail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic design! You are so creative! I love how it turned out! Thanks for hopping

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie would approve! :) Lovely 'downtown' boho style - LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like how you named the style...downtown boho!

      Delete
  12. Oh that turned out great Kashmira! Carrie Bradshaw would totally rock that necklace out! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a cute one, Kashmira! I bet it moves nicely, being so long - would like to see it 'in action' :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, Manhattans instantly make me think of Carrie Bradshaw also. Your piece is WONDERFUL. A stunning design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a clever post. I love that you made the necklace look like a sky scraper. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you told of your thought process! Your necklace is great, love the length and that it does look like a skyscraper.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonya! I was wondering how to make that skyscraper, so glad I found those earrings!

      Delete
  17. I like your interpretation. I think the downtown boho description nailed it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice interpretation of the Manhattan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was happy I could add so many different representations to a single piece

      Delete
  19. This piece is pretty dang cool...lots of work, but so worth it. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! Actually it was not much work. The focal was an old earring I upcycled :)

      Delete
  20. i love how your came to your design! beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely design! I really enjoyed this challenge too.
    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  22. great necklace - what w wonderful up cycle. I am digging long necklaces also these days!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed hearing your thought process. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Since I totally love all things orange this is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What great architectural details in this! Manhattans are a great drink. And the color is so rich. Long is so in right now and I can see this layered with others. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete