Thursday, August 16, 2012

How I Found My Way Into "Jewelry Stringing" Magazine


Edited to add a section in the end for Chloe's comments for international artists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start off with thanking everyone who joined me in my crazy excitement over getting published. That is everyone who left comments on my blog and on Facebook and sent emails. A big hug back to you all, I feel much loved :-)

A lot of people asked me HOW I got my design published. While I remember what all I did to get there, I sort of forgot why I wanted to get published in the first place! I had started the process when I had not even seen a jewelry design magazine before, the Bead Soup Cafe and Creative Bead Chat groups had not yet been started on Facebook, and I was less than a year old in this field. So even I was wondering about what made me do it. Thankfully, I had written a blog post about it :)
The question at that time was should I Submit My Designs To Stringing Magazine?
You will have to go read that post to find out more ;-)

The magazine publishes their call for submissions wayyyy ahead of time. When I looked, they had put up guidelines and themes for the entire year of 2012. I was too late for Spring and Summer, but was in time for Fall and Winter. What impressed me was the prep-work they did! For an issue coming out in September, they set the submission deadline in March. 6 months!

There were two ways to send in the submissions:
1) Pre-submission by email: You can submit pictures of your projects to them. The deadline for this is about two weeks before the "in office" deadlines. They review the pictures and respond back if they want to look at anything for further consideration. This does not guarantee that the pieces will be included, just means that they would like to take a closer look.
2) Just send everything, the piece, the instructions, everything to them directly without the pre-screening.

I went with option 1.

The Fall themes were: Jewelry made with multiple strands, clasp as focal, oversized beads, silk cord or earth tones.

The Winter themes were:  Jewelry made with fire-polished beads, a geometric motif, or a lacy look; choker-style necklaces.

They were also looking for earrings and bracelets for the galleries. Now, when I submitted, I had not actually SEEN the magazine before, so I had no idea what galleries these were! But I sent in my pictures anyway.

For Fall, I sent these two earrings that I made out of clasps. I guess I had completely misunderstood the theme. They were looking for necklaces and bracelets with the theme, and I sent them earrings!



For Winter, I sent in this necklace (at least with this one, I was not too far off what they wanted)
(psst...isn't this set gorgeous?)


Before I tell you what happened next, I have to say this: The folks at Stringing mag are THE best! Very helpful and friendly, and extremely prompt!

So I emailed these pictures and they got back to me the next day that they have received my submission, and will get back to me when they wrap up with their Spring/Summer work. About 10 days later, they wrote back, asking me to send in the chain earrings and the lace necklace, along with instructions for the necklace. Their submissions guidelines has sample instructions, so writing it up following that is quite easy.

I mailed the pieces to them sometime towards the end of Feb. I heard back from them beginning of April that the earrings were selected. They were hanging on to the necklace until they got around to working on their Winter issue. There was some paperwork that we got out of the way in May (contracts and tax forms, etc). And I got the magazine in my hands in August. The necklace was not selected and they sent it back to me along with the necklace.

So that was my story. I emailed them quite a lot with all kinds of questions, and they were always very patient and courteous and friendly (you can tell I can go on for a while about how much I liked working with them) every time.

Brenda Sue at B'Sue Boutiques has also done a blog post about submitting to Stringing: Don't Make It Hard. As she says, it is quite easy! So go for it!

Stringing just put up their guidelines for Spring 2013 submissions. Do take a look and go ahead, take the first step :-)

I am going to ask Chloe from Interweave to drop by here and comment in case I have missed out anything.

Here are links to submission forms for some other magazines too if you would like to explore:
Bead Trends: I had submitted once to them, never heard back
Bead Style: I have never submitted here

These are the ones I know of and have looked at. I bet you can go to the website of your favorite magazine and find their guidelines.

I would like to end with: magazines are always looking for fresh ideas and designers, and actually do look forward to seeing your work. So don't be scared, shy or whatever else it is that is holding you back. Just do it :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note for international submissions:
Good question.

We don’t have any special instructions for international submissions per se, but there can be some trickiness surrounding shipping to and from other countries. Customs laws are different in pretty much every country, and often international contributors will notify us of any special shipping methods/labeling that needs to happen on our end. We have heard that in some countries there are hefty fees that need to be paid before packages containing returned jewelry submissions can be claimed by their authors. It is a good idea for international artists to look into the specific customs laws/fees in their country so that they know what to expect and so that we can do everything in our power to make the shipping process a smooth in both directions.

Best,

Chloe Chatenever
Assistant Editor
Jewelry Stringing Magazine
(970) 776-1468

 

27 comments:

  1. Great post Kashmira and beautiful designs as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I printed off the Stringing guidelines. And now I just need to remember that when I make a piece, instead of showing it on the blog or putting it up for sale, I need to send a photo to a magazine.

    Thanks again for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, that was one of the questions I had asked them: is it ok to put up pics on my blog. They said yes, it was fine. Their only condition is that your submission should not have been printed in some other magazine.

      Yes, you can't put it up for sale if you want to submit it since they do want the piece sent to them. But if you can make another one, then that is also not a problem.

      Delete
  3. Great post. Thanks for sharing. I submitted once, without success. I need to try again. Your post is a push in the right direction. Congrats on your earrings being published!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda!
      You should definitely try again. Also read Brenda's post. I didn't know it at the time, but Stringing folks look for simple designs tht their readers can try to make as well! So maybe you can dig up a simple, pretty design and send it in?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration Kashmira. You have reminded me that I submitted some lampwork beads to Bead Style last year and I don't believe I ever shared that (kind of a crazy time in my life then). I am inspired again and I have just submitted some of my latest jewelry designs to Bead Trends. Thanks so much for inspiring me to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Ema! Glad I helped with a reminder. Do post pics when you get a chance. Would love to see them!

      Delete
    2. Oh I will. I excitedly checked my email this morning. No response. lol. I know it will take them longer 24 hours to respond but a girl can hope. I will let you know when I hear back, one way or the other.

      Delete
    3. Well it took a couple of weeks but I received a response this past weekend that one of my pieces has been accepted! I can't thank you enough Kashmira.

      Delete
  5. THanks! I feel inspired! Maybe I'll send in a submission. Congrats on being accepted! I subscribe to Stringing Jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could inspire :) Hope to see your work published soon too!

      Delete
  6. what a fantastic post! I have been wanting to do this, and now I have the push from you :) many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I LOVE your work, hope to see it published!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for all the information. I appreciate the link for Stringing. And Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I never imagined you'd have this up so quickly. Thank you so much! Congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing with me, "later" never comes, so its now or never. And since so many folks asked for it, I decided I had to do it now :-)
      Hope it helped!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for all these details, Kashmira. I never did get caught up today, so I'm off to bed with much still undone. I am going to check your links in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post, Kashmira--very thorough! We were so happy to be able to include your earrings in our Fall issue.

    Looks like you have hit on all the basics of how to submit already. Submissions for our Spring 2013 issue are due by October 10th 2012(this is our in-office deadline)!

    -Chloe Chatenever, Jewelry Stringing Magazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe. One question I had after I published my post: Are there any special instructions for non-US designers who would like to submit? There are lot of really talented beaders I know who are outside of the US.

      Delete
  11. Thanks Kashmira. I'm going to check out Stringing's new guidelines and maybe check out some others. I'd like to submit a piece, but have just figured mine weren't good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Kay!
      There is no harm in trying. When I submitted, I had been doing this for less than a year. I just looked at what matched their themes and sent it along. If you like what you made, send it :-)

      Delete
  12. A great big CONGRATS to you, Kashmira!!! I saw this on FB but did not comment here - which I just now corrected. :-) It feels so amazing to be published for the first time. This is reason to celebrate!! :-) Very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always nice to see someone who is new to submitting to magazines writing about the process. Glad it was a good experience and hope you continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Yeah, I am going to try to get more of my designs published..hopefully in more magazines too!

      Delete