Friday, January 18, 2013

Art Jewelry Elements Earring Challenge: 2/13 and a lesson learned


Here I am with earring number 2.
I gotta say, am loving this challenge. It's making me bring all my components out and want to use them instead of hoarding them ;-) I have already made the next two pairs! Just can't show them off yet :)

My second pair is made with Decoupage Art Charms I bought from J-Lynn Jewels.
Am always on the lookout for components I have not tried before and was thrilled to have found these.


Love the teal color on this. Yes, I realize most of my creations are either red or blue. Can't help it ;-)
I started these off planning to make a hoop with the braided seed beads. But the effect of the braiding was getting lost in that design. So went with this instead.

Must say am super thrilled with them. Gorgeous and very unique.
No, they are not listed in my store...they got snapped up the minute I shared a picture on Facebook!
These are J-Lynn's online homes:
Website: http://www.jlynnjewels.com/
Etsy:  https://www.facebook.com/JLynnJewelsFANpage
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JLynnJewels

Now to the lesson learned:
Remember I mentioned I already have two more pairs of earrings done? Will share one of them here.
They are reallly pretty, and I love them! But there is a lesson learned while making them.

These are the earrings:


Very pretty, and look gorgeous when worn. 
These are made with etched brass components made by Miss Sharyl of Sharyl's Jewelry.
These are her online homes:

What's the problem then?
Let's just say, jewelry design is making me realize why I had to learn all those laws of physics in school. (I did wonder all the time, why do I need to know all this!)

It is not very obvious in this picture, but the balance is off. The brass rectangle is heavier on one side and so tips over very slightly to that side. Now we "may" get away by saying this is by design. But unbalance makes me uncomfortable.

Now, how can I fix this? 
One way would be to attach beads on the other side too...converting this into a boring design.
Second, attach a counter-balance just on the top corner on the other side.
Third, use very very lightweight beads!
Fourth, start attaching the beads at a point on the frame where it would stay balanced.
Fifth, and the one I went with, wear them, and don't look in the mirror ;-)

Would love to have more suggestions for how to solve this!

36 comments:

  1. WoW! Both pair are beautiful! Love the colors and the style. That first pair really grabbed me. I am a trial and error person so not sure how to solve it. Physics was Never my thing. Too practical :-) But my gut went with your second or fourth ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! They are both sold as we speak, so all is well with the design, I guess, lol :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kashmira... I like these a lot. I used to make a lot of earrings but not so much since I fell for bracelets LOL. I tend to have difficulty with earrings being too LIGHTWEIGHT and then I don't like the way they hang. The second pair would be good candidates for weaving with a thin leather or even silk through the holes for a minimalist look. The design of those components doesn't seem to lend itself to lots of weighty elements, does it... (unless you add more holes for balance?) Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your earrings are beautiful! I was going to check your Etsy shop - good thing you told me they were sold as soon as they hit FB! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just know you are going to solve this puzzle, Kashmira, but in the meantime, I really like your solution! Wear them and enjoy! :-)

    Thanks for mentioning my shop! I just added a new batch of components!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharyl, puzzle solved. Someone liked them exactly as they were, and bought them :)

      Delete
  5. P.S. I love your teal ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wear them and don't look in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy :) That was the plan, but my friend loved them and insisted on buying them. Who am I to refuse ;-)

      Delete
  7. You already know I love those first pair of earrings, the second pair are very cool too. So glad you could join our challenge Kashmira!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, me too! I am really enjoying it, and its helping me be more productive :)

      Delete
  8. I love these earrings and will have to visit J-Lynn Jewels’ shop soon!

    I would have gone with option 5 too! Brass and green are gorgeous together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kym, yes, she is awesome!
      And agree with you again on the choice of solution and the color combo. I love this particular shade of green with the brass, both are earthy, and I love earth tones!

      Delete
  9. I though I already commented on this post when you first posted....there I go thinking again! That first pair of earrings is STUNNING! I love that design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti :) Yeah, that one had me smiling for a long time :)

      Delete
  10. I love the clever way you wove the leather. Genius! Thank you for joining the AJE Earring Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! And am glad I joined, its making me do work ;-)

      Delete
  11. I would not have noticed the last one was not balanced - love them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, oh you would have if I had taken a picture of it hanging :)
      But all is good, a friend liked them exactly as they are and insisted on buying them :)

      Delete
  12. I love them both Kashmira. I think I would go with that second pair is off balance by design. ;) It would probably be an issue for me too. That's why these challenges are so great, sometimes it just forces us to say what the heck and bust out of our need for balance and symmetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ema, Yeah, that theory worked...they are sold ;)

      Delete
  13. Love the teal pair of earrings. So beautiful.
    Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for your other pair, than indeed: wear them and don't look in the mirror ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning earrings Kashmira. I can understand exactly what you mean about unbalance making you uncomfortable. I don't have any suggestions but don't change them they are gorgeous exactly as they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith! We are always our own worst critics, isn't it?
      Someone loved them just as they are and bought them :)

      Delete
  15. Awesome earrings! What a fab idea to braid the beads and leather. Congrats on being featured!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first pair is stunning, I cann see why they went so fast. I love option five on the second pair, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ali :-) Yeah, I just let those be...they got sold yesterday too :) I'm certainly a very happy camper!

      Delete
  17. The first set are just delightful...such a bright contrast of color, wonderful. And the second set is just as fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those first earrings call out to me . . .it's the teal. Gotta love my blues! And, I'm a sucker for brown too!
    I see what you mean about the second pair, but I don't think it would bother me as much as it bother you. I could be mistaken though. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I'm like that with red and blue and I guess brown too :-) So much red and blue in my store, you'd think its perpetual 4th of July ;-)

      I think you would be bothered if you saw them hanging askew. My friend liked it like that though, and she claimed them :-)

      Delete